The College was started
in 1948 in a military camping ground of about 120 acres of land.
It was temporarily housed in a military barrack near the Govt.
Sugarcane Experimental Station at Borbheta Chapori (now Hostel
No. 1) after being reconditioned and partitioned into classrooms,
offices and laboratories. Another military shed at a distance
of about2 km was acquired by the Government which provided temporary
accommodation for the students. Besides, two buildings belonging
to the State department of Agriculture were placed at the disposal
of the College, for the residence of the Principal and the staff.
The College building was constructed in 1955, to accommodate the
different departments and laboratories.
the financial assistance from the International Development Association
(IDA) of the World Bank under its Technical Cooperation Mission
(TCM) for infrastructure development and faculty upgradation programme,
the present departmental buildings, lecture halls, auditorium,
central library and student hostels were constructed, from 1973
onwards. As many as 150 teachers were sent for higher leading
to doctorate and post-doctoral degrees/diplomas etc. The College
thus grew in size and quality under the auspices of the World
Bank with the dynamic leadership of the then Vice-Chancellor,
namely Dr. S. R. Barooah and Dr. L. S. Negi.
cater to the needs of trained personnel in the emerging frontier
area of biotechnology, a programme on Agricultural Biotechnology,
funded by the Department of biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India,
started functioning in 1989 under the Department of Plant Breeding
& Genetics. This programme was later developed into a full-fledged
Department of Agricultural Biotechnology with well-equipped laboratory
facilities in 1998 under the able leadership of Dr. P. C. Deka
who is the founder Professor and Head of this new Department.
a residential institution, accommodation facilities for the students
in the form of hostels were developed. A number of hostels were
constructed/renovated starting with the hostel No. 1 which was
an abandoned military barrack. Construction of hostels was also
financed by North eastern Council (N.E.C.). At present there are
12 hostels of which 5 for U.G boys, 2 for U.G girls, 2 each for
P.G. boys and for P.G. girls and 1 for Research Associates.