The need for an Agricultural
College in Assam to impart training and education in subjects
relating to crops, soil and climatic condition of Assam was felt
for a long time both by the Government and people of Assam. However,
it could not be materialized till India attained independence.
At the dawn of independence, the foundation of the Assam Agricultural
College was laid at Borbheta, an outskirt of Jorhat town on the
16th August, 1948 by the then Governor of Assam, Late Akbar Hyderi.
College started its academic programme in an abandoned military
Camp. Late Rev. B. M. Pugh was appointed as the first Principal
of the College. Initially, there were one Professor and eight
teachers to conduct the B.Sc. (Agri) degree programme. Thirty
students were enrolled in the first batch to begin with. The academic
programme included the subjects of Agronomy, Botany, Chemistry,
Physics, Entomology, Zoology, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary,
Agril. Engineering, Mathematics, English and Vernacular language,
Tea science, Statistics and Economics.
M. C. Das took over as the Principal in 1949 and served and guided
the College for long 17 years until 1966. It was during the period
of his stewardship that the institution gained momentum to become
a full-fledged Agricultural College. During the first five years
of its existence, the College was affiliated to the Gauhati University.
With the establishment of Dibrugarh University, the affiliation
was shifted to it, till the establishment of the Assam Agricultural
University (A.A.U.) in 1969. In the formation of A.A.U., the erstwhile
Assam Agricultural College formed the nucleus of the budding university.
College followed traditional system of teaching and evaluation
until 1970. In 1971 the trimester system of teaching and internal
evaluation in the pattern of land grant Colleges of the U.S.A.
was introduced in 1977, the semester system of teaching and evaluation
was started and continued. However, it was felt that the transfer
system was not functioning effectively in our conditions.