The Sericulture sector is unique in the sense that every stage involves art, science and technology interventions. Sericulture education has gained momentum in the country during XII Five Year Plan period to cater the needs of manpower in this sector. Sericulture is an upcoming higher education area to generate globally competent and professionally motivated technical human resources to man, the state Departments, Research and Development institutes and Industries. With this background in mind the far-sighted visionary announcement by Dr. Tarun Gogoi, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Assam in his Budget Speech 2012-13 to establish a Sericulture College at Titabar of Jorhat District is timely and welcome gesture for growth and development of sericulture industry through human resource development. The foundation stone of the College of Sericulture was laid on February 9, 2014 at Titabar. AAU has started 4-year-Bachelor of Science in Sericulture [B.Sc.(Seri)] degree programme from 2014-15 Academic Session with 25 students under course credit system. Each graduate is required to complete 168 credits in eight semesters. Further, establishment of a College of Sericulture not only serves the purpose of creating manpower excellence, but also creates a strong base to address location specific Sericultural problems in specific agro-climatic situations. A college of Sericulture also plays a pivotal role in transfer of technologies among the farming communities in and around the region.Vision
Generation of human resource in the field of Sericulture as to carry out mandatory responsibility of executing a three dimensional task through integration of teaching, research and extension programme with relevance to the Sericulture of Assam. Mission
• To develop technically competent and professionally motivated manpower in sericulture sector through quality education to meet the need of various stakeholders in particular and also to cater to the needs of the state /region in general. GOALS
• To produce globally competent graduates in sericulture sector who can establish themselves as job providers rather than job seekers. Objectives
• To undertake basic, strategic and adaptive research relevant to the problems of the state/region.
• Transferring the technologies to the end users for improving the socio-economic condition of the people.
• To impart Sericulture education in this region.
• To develop technically skilled human resource to disseminate the latest Sericulture technologies to the grass root level.
• To conduct need based research in order to generate improved technologies for enhancing production and productivity of silk in general
• To facilitate entrepreneurship development in Sericulture for commercialization of the sector.
• To impart training on modern methods of Sericulture farming including product processing and value addition.
• To develop linkage with other national and international bodies on trade and commerce.