The Rev. B M Pugh library being the knowledge centre on agriculture and allied areas was established in 1969, located in the Head Quarter of the university at Jorhat. It serves the students, teachers/scientists, research scholars and other staff of the colleges, viz., College of Agriculture and College of Home Science as well as staff and students of newly established College of Horticulture and College of Sericulture in particular and the entire community of the university in general. It has its branch libraries at the College of Veterinary Science, Khanapara; College of Fisheries Science, Raha; Biswanath College of Agriculture, Biswanath Chariali; Lakhimpur College of Veterinary Science, Lakhimpur and Sarat Chandra Singha College of Agriculture, Dhubri.
The Rev. B. M. Pugh Library has a total of 1,69,785 books, 50 current periodicals, 16,711 back volumes, 2639 Post graduate theses, 7521 reports, 19 popular magazines & newspapers. In addition, the Library has CAB-CDs, CABI e-books of Agriculture and allied fields covering the period 1972-2012 and onwards. Under the sponsorship of the ICAR, the Library has facilitated online access to 13,097 e-journals (including CeRA, DeLCON, Krishiprobha, CAB Abstract, CABI E-books etc.) on Agriculture and related sciences. The Library also provides facilities to full text access of Ph.D. thesis on Agriculture through a noble project of ICAR known as, Krishiprabha. The Library has a LAN setup with 30 terminals and the software SOUL has been used for developing catalogue database. Recently the library has taken necessary steps for complete automation of the library by implementation of KOHA software under ICAR library strengthening project.
Library Collection (Print collection)
The current strength of the books, periodicals etc. are listed below ( as on March,2015)
|02||Back vols. of periodicals||16,711|
|Book section/Stack areas||Periodical Section|
1. CeRA: Consortium of e-resources in Agriculture : Access to full text electronic journal on Agricculture and allied areas.
2. DeLCON: DBT-Electronic Journal Consortium: About 900 full text journals are covered under DeLCON
3. Krishprobha: It is a Full text electronic Database of Agricultural Doctoral dissertations submitted by research scholars to the 45 State/ Deemed Agricultural Universities during the period from 1.1.2001- 31.12.2006
4. CAB Abstract (CD) 1972 – 2013 ( Available on CD ROM )
5. CABI E- book: The library has strengthened its e-resources by subscribing CAB-e book collection by more than 250 e-book, access period of which is 3 years from 2013-2016.
Consultation for outside scholars
The library provides consultation facilities to outside scholars on the basis of letter of introduction. Consultation fee @ Rs 10/- per day and Rs 50/- per month is charged.
• Lending service
• Reference/Information service
• Current Awareness Service
• Documentation service
• Internet/E-mail facility
• E-journal/ eBook and CD-ROM database searching facility
• Resource-sharing facility
• User education programme
• Reprography facility
Text Book Bank section
This section provides minimum five to six books to every enrolled students for the semester and number of borrowed books depend upon availability of books in this section
Automation and Digitization Status of the B. M. Pugh Library:
So far digitization is concerned, bibliographic database of library collection is almost in completion stage which is now available through OPAC of the library. Ph D theses from 2001 to 2006 were digitized under ICAR sponsored project Krishiprobha. . The ICT tools and platforms have been developed by procuring and maintaining computers with accessories for accessing e-resources like CeRA, CAB Abstract, e-Book, Krishiprabha for improvement of academic and research programme. CCTV is another addition of the library as security system which helps in security of library resources as well as library management.